Who Are More Successful In Business – Givers Or Takers
If you’re reading this, you’re most likely to enjoy helping and making a difference to others. But does this approach really pay off in business?
I’m having a great time researching this topic ahead of hosting my first‘Give To Profit’ Fundraising Tele-summit’ next month with lots of fantastic speakers who do business with heart. And so today I thought I’d share a couple of really encouraging findings I’ve discovered from reading ‘Give And Take’ by Adam Grant:
1. ‘Giving’ and putting others first is a trait of many top performers – across a whole spectrum of fields including business, politics, medicine, sales and many industries. However some ‘givers’ also under-perfrom – those who sacrifice their own needs and goals too much.
2. ‘Takers’ on the other hand (those who put themselves first) may get better results in the short-term, but are more likely to be ‘middle of the road’ performers over the longer term. Cuddled between ‘givers’ above and below them on the success ladder.
So while coming from a place of wanting to do what’s best for others, may slow down your journey to success, it could also be more rewarding, make a difference to more people and yield more business success over the longer term – YIPEE!
People have often said I give away too much but often it just feels like the right thing to do. Over the years however I’ve learnt it is possible to come from a place of love, kindness and compassion and be more strategic and balanced in the way I give – so that more people gain.
Today I encourage you to consider how you could ‘give’ to build your business, in a way that makes a difference to others and gets your own needs met too….
Have a joyful week!
I’d love to hear your ideas and thoughts – please do share your comments below.
Alisoun Mackenzie is The Compassionate Business Mentor, Author, and Speaker who inspires business owners and social entrepreneurs to turn their passions into profits and make a difference in the world.
She is also the author of two Amazon Best Selling books Heartatude, The 9 Principles of Heart-Centered Success and Give to Profit: How to Grow Your Business by Supporting Charities Social Causes.
Alisoun is also the founder of The Heartabiz Hub a business network and training academy and has written the following free ebooks:
- The 9 Secrets to Signing Up Clients Without Selling (click here)
- 101 Ways To Attract Great Clients, With Heart, Integrity & Social Impact (click here)
- 52 Ways to Raise Funds for Charities and Social Causes Through Your Business (click here)
You can connect with Alisoun here:
- Alisoun’s website – www.alisoun.com
- Alisoun Mackenzie Facebook Fanpage (for tips on authentic living and business mastery) – click HERE
- The Heartabiz Hub Facebook Fanpage (for details about our courses and events) – click HERE
- Give To Profit Facebook Fanpage (tips on supporting charities and social causes) – click HERE