Small changes can make HUGE difference…
I was away skiing last week and was excited to have had a huge ‘aha moment’ on the slopes.
I’ve been skiing for over 25 years and while I really enjoy it and can competently ski down most slopes, I’ve never been the most elegant of skiers. But this year that all changed. How?
I made a couple of very small changes to what I focussed on – setting intentions of how I’d ski each slope and mindfully holding my body in a particular way. For the first time ever I found when did these two things it was so much easier! All the years I’ve been resisting the slope’s natural downward pull (and getting sore thighs in the process) now seem like madness. Why did I make it harder than it had to be?
A similar principle can apply in business too – making only a couple of small changes to what you’re doing could make a huge difference to the profitability and impact of your business, your enjoyment and your lifestyle.
To give you an example, spending £2 (US$3) a day on a cup of tea or coffee is the equivalent of £10 (US$15) a week or £520 (US$780) a year.
Make that £5 a day saving or extra cash generated and thats £1,300 (US$2,015). What difference would that tiny change make to you?
Would you agree that 5% is not a very high number?
Yet what would the benefits be to you if you were to make the following changes:
- Charge 5% more – I’ve clients who have attracted more clients when they put their prices up. What would the financial impact be for you if you did this?
- Cut your costs by 5% – is there anything you spend money on you don’t really need? How could you cut your costs?
- Sell 5% more – start by working how many additional clients or sales this equates to and then work out how much more profit this would generate. What could you do make that happen?
- Free up 5% of your time – if you work 8 hours a day this equates to 24 minutes. Do you waste time doing things that either don’t add value to your clients or bring in more business e.g. spending too much time on social media or exploring the Internet?
- Enjoy 5% more ‘action’ time – use the time freed up from above to work towards a goal, master new skills or follow up potential clients.
- Ask 5% more people if they’d like your help – as potential clients or simply to be kind.
- Reach out to 5% more ‘centres of influence’ – those with large followers of your ideal clients (e.g. those who could host you as a speaker or those you could collaborate with).
- Give yourself 5%+ more ‘me’ time – doing things that nourish your heart.
- Give 5% of your profits to charity – you could do this from current prices if you are earning a good salary. Or increase your prices to include this.
Success often comes from consistently doing the small things that work. Doing any one of these things could significantly change the results you get and how you feel every day.
Imagine the difference you could make in a year if you were to focus on making one small change a month.
What one small things could you do differently this month?
As Mac Anderson says in his book The Nature of Success ‘Inch by inch life’s a cinch, yard by yard, life is hard‘.
I’d love to hear your ideas and thoughts – please do share your comments below.
Alisoun Mackenzie is The Compassionate Business Mentor, Author, and Speaker who inspires business owners and social entrepreneurs to turn their passions into profits and make a difference in the world.
She is also the author of two Amazon Best Selling books Heartatude, The 9 Principles of Heart-Centered Success and Give to Profit: How to Grow Your Business by Supporting Charities Social Causes.
Alisoun is also the founder of The Heartabiz Hub a business network and training academy and has written the following free ebooks:
- The 9 Secrets to Signing Up Clients Without Selling (click here)
- 101 Ways To Attract Great Clients, With Heart, Integrity & Social Impact (click here)
- 52 Ways to Raise Funds for Charities and Social Causes Through Your Business (click here)
You can connect with Alisoun here:
- Alisoun’s website – www.alisoun.com
- Alisoun Mackenzie Facebook Fanpage (for tips on authentic living and business mastery) – click HERE
- The Heartabiz Hub Facebook Fanpage (for details about our courses and events) – click HERE
- Give To Profit Facebook Fanpage (tips on supporting charities and social causes) – click HERE