7 Things to Consider Before Hiring a Coach
Working with a coach can be a great way to achieve your goals or overcome challenges more quickly than you would otherwise – personally, professionally, or in business.
Today I’m going to share seven things to think about before you hire a coach so find it easier to select the best coach for you. Keep reading to find out more, or watch this short video:
1. Get clear on your WHY
Why are you thinking of hiring a coach?
There are many different reasons for hiring a coach and it’s good to get clear on your personal reasons as these will shape the type of coach it would be good for you to work with. It’s also important for your coach to be clear on your WHY so they can help you achieve your desired outcomes.
- Why do you think coaching could help you?
- What do you want or hope to get from coaching?
- What particular goal(s) do you want to work towards?
- What challenges do you face?
- Why do you think coaching is a good way forward?
Knowing the answers to these questions will help you decide on the best coach for you.
2. Is coaching the right type of support for you?
The next question to ask yourself is: Is coaching the right type of support for me.
A coach will help you move towards desired outcomes for the future, by holding a vision for what’s possible for you, asking questions, and giving feedback that will help you achieve your goals. In its purest sense, coaching does not dwell on the past. Nor do coaches give advice.
Many coaches are trained in other techniques such as NLP, hypnotherapy, or tapping to help you develop a success mindset or overcome emotional blocks.
Likewise, some coaches can also act as a mentor, sharing their wisdom with you.
3. What type of coaching do you want?
Are you looking for one-to-one support, to participate in a group coaching programme (usually a mix of training and coaching), or a mix of both?
The benefit of coaching programmes that include a pre-recorded training element is that you’re able to work through training content in your own time so you can make better use of your time with your coach. You can also often download content to consume again at any time.
The benefits of group coaching programmes include that you can share ideas with others on a similar journey and they’re often cheaper than working with coaches on a one-to-one basis.
4. What kind of coach do you want?
Your answers to the previous questions will help you determine this in terms of the type of services they offer. But there are other things to consider too.
- Do you want a pure coach or a coach with other skills e.g. mindset, training, therapy, mentoring, books, or industry experience?
- What qualities, skills, and values are you looking for in a coach?
- What life experiences would you like your coach to have had?
- How much experience as a coach would you like your coach to have?
Coaches gain their experience in many ways – through training courses, roles they’ve had in past careers, the years they’ve spent coaching, and even training other coaches. Some new coaches are excellent although, like any skill, it can take many years to become a masterful coach.
Coaching is a huge field of expertise and most good coaches will have invested in a lengthy accredited training programme that will have taken months or years to complete. They’re likely to also continue their professional development with regular additional training. However, be aware some people marketing themselves as coaches have only done a basic weekend course.
5. How much are you willing to invest in coaching?
This covers time, money, and your commitment to take action and lead the change you want to experience.
- How much time are you willing to invest in your sessions plus any follow up actions? Most regular coaching sessions are 1-hour although depending on what you’re working on, 2-hour sessions are sometimes better.
- How frequently do you want sessions e.g. once a week, fortnight, or once a month?
- Do you want face-to-face or online coaching? Coaching can easily be done very effectively over the phone or via Zoom/Skype. Benefits of online coaching include you don’t need to set aside extra time to travel and you may be able to record the sessions so you can refer back to them.
- How many sessions are you willing to invest in? When I work with clients I suggest a minimum of six regular sessions although many clients continue to work with me for long than this as they’ve longer term goals they’d like ongoing support with.
- What budget do you have to invest in a coach? An experienced life coach will often cost from £100 an hour (with some charging well over £1,000). Business coaching is often twice this. With leadership coaching within organisations more expensive again. Some coaches will offer package discounts and online group coaching programmes which are often a cheaper alternivate to one-to-one support.
6. When do you want your coaching sessions to take place?
Obviously when you want to have your sessions will influence which coaches you can work with. It’s good to know this upfront and to ask coaches when they do sessions.
7. How well do you connect with the coach?
As well as selecting an experienced coach, it’s important that you feel you connect with whoever you hire. If you’re feeling any resistance stay away!
Once you’ve had an exploratory chat, ask yourself:
- Did I feel I connected to this person?
- Did they make me feel listened to or heard?
- Was there anything they said that I really didn’t like?
- How do I feel about our first conversation?
In summary: all the above will help you choose the right coach
When you consider each of the above factors you’re more likely to take on a coach you’ll be able to work well with.
I hope you’ve found this blog/video helpful. If you’d like to find out more my coaching check out
The Meaningful Life Guide, Best-Selling Author & Coach
Empowering you to enjoy a happy meaningful life that lights up your heart and makes a difference in the world
P.S. Have you checked out My Meaningful Life course yet? Find out more HERE.
Often described as one of the most authentic and inspiring souls you can meet, Alisoun is on a mission to improve the lives of 100,000 people – by making it easier for women to create a happy meaningful life that lights up their heart and leaves a legacy they’re proud of.
Alisoun’s keynote talks, training, mentoring, and best-selling books Heartatude: The 9 Principles of Heart-Centered Success and Give-to-Profit: How to Grow Your Business by Supporting Charities and Social Causes have favorably changed the good fortune of thousands of people worldwide. Personally, she loves spending time with friends, exploring the world, and enjoying a quiet lifestyle by the beach in Scotland.
Alisoun is has written the following free resources:
- Your Meaningful Life Quiz (complete this here)
- 101+ Ways to Create a Joyful Life of Meaning, Vitality, & Impact (download this HERE).
- Ebook: 52 Ways to Raise Funds for Charities and Social Causes Through Your Business (download this here)
Connect with Alisoun here: