3 Ways To Build Relationships With Potential Clients
I wonder if you’ve ever felt awkward around sales. If yes, then you’re not alone! In a recent survey I did, 38% said they feel uncomfortable ‘selling’.
And it’s usually because while we know what we don’t like when it comes to sales (and don’t want to come across as a pushy or sleazy sales person ourselves), not many of us have the conscious awareness of what people say or do that leads us to say ‘yes’ and buy.
The good news is that huge factors influencing whether someone buys from you is how much they ‘know’, ‘like’ and ‘trust’ you. And so if you’re in the business of helping others one of the most important factors as to whether you’ll convert leads into paying clients is your ability to grow good relationships. Particularly with those who may be interested in your services or those who could refer clients to you.
So today I thought I’d share 3 ways you can build relationships with potential clients:
- Set up an email list of potential clients and send subscribers regular emails – email marketing is one of the most effective ways to build relationships and showcase your expertise (as long as what you share is interesting and adds value to your audience). To get ideas on what to write about, write answers to the top 10 questions that people ask you to help them with – then write an email on each. Questions from leads and clients is what inspires me to write my emails/blog posts.
- Offer free monthly calls to those on your email list – these are a great way for you to connect an build stronger relationships with those who have expressed an interest in your work. During these content only calls (i.e. no selling) I share my latest ideas on a particular topic (often chosen by my followers) and invite those listening in to share their ideas and ask questions. Again if you’re on my email list and what to experience how to do this, simply listen in to one of my monthly calls that you’ll receive an email about.
- Set up & run your own Facebook Group – this is a great way for you to connect and get to know people who resonate with your message/work. Invite people who are your ideal clients to join, share resources and encourage participation. The beauty of this strategy is that for open groups, others will be able to find your group and ask to join if they like the look of what you’re doing. If you’re not already a member, you can check out my Facebook Group HERE.
Remember, these strategies for building relationships with potential clients are just one step in the ‘sales’ process. And making sure you have no holes in your sales process (including inviting people to buy from you) is still important.
That said, you are likely to find that by building credibility and relationships over time in the ways I’ve suggested, is likely to result in more people approaching you to sign up or refer business opportunities to you. Because most of us tend to prefer those who ‘help’ rather than those who ‘sell at’ us.
If you’d like to find out more about how you can sign up more clients by ‘giving’ rather than ‘selling’, I’m running a Give To Sell Workshop on this topic in Edinburgh on 12th June – you can find out more HERE.
I’d love to hear your ideas and thoughts – please do share your comments below.
Alisoun Mackenzie is The Compassionate Business Mentor, Author, and Speaker who inspires business owners and social entrepreneurs to turn their passions into profits and make a difference in the world.
She is also the author of two Amazon Best Selling books Heartatude, The 9 Principles of Heart-Centered Success and Give to Profit: How to Grow Your Business by Supporting Charities Social Causes.
Alisoun is also the founder of The Heartabiz Hub a business network and training academy and has written the following free ebooks:
- The 9 Secrets to Signing Up Clients Without Selling (click here)
- 101 Ways To Attract Great Clients, With Heart, Integrity & Social Impact (click here)
- 52 Ways to Raise Funds for Charities and Social Causes Through Your Business (click here)
You can connect with Alisoun here:
- Alisoun’s website – www.alisoun.com
- Alisoun Mackenzie Facebook Fanpage (for tips on authentic living and business mastery) – click HERE
- The Heartabiz Hub Facebook Fanpage (for details about our courses and events) – click HERE
- Give To Profit Facebook Fanpage (tips on supporting charities and social causes) – click HERE